Monday, October 12, 2009

When was the last time you visited a wet market?

Amid all the hoo-ha over the possible closure of wet markets, am I the only one that is under no illusions that over time, they will eventually have to make way?

I'm not sure if this is the best time, or if there ever is a best time to close down the wet markets, but lets face it, how often do you really frequent the wet market? Not in the last 10 years for me that's for sure. Of course, my mother and alot of housewives still do, but even then they are not doing 100% of their marketing there anymore. (at least for my family) Its a mixture of NTUC, Seng Song, even Cold Storage (its fruits taste better, although more expensive according to my mum) and the occasional wet marketing maybe once a week.

Gone were the days when visits to the wet market is a daily affair, buying the daily freshest food and vegetables, especially for the younger generation. Most of us prefer to do our marketing on a weekly basis, buying in bulk, in the comfort and orderly confines of the nearest supermart, where you don't have to fear being ripped off, no need to bargain, and the food is treated and packaged nicely.

A visit to the wet market is pretty much a scary process, especially for the uninitiated. Navigating the mess of stalls, juggling your purchases while taking care not to slip on the wet floor amid the bustling crowd knocking you in every direction, haggling at every stall to get the best deal.. its really too much for me to handle.

I'll miss them no doubt, its human nature to reminisce over things that are long gone.

I miss the rickety single storey, non air-coned, cockroach infested SBS bus that only costs 15 cents per trip.

I miss the ice cream truck, the bread seller ringing their horns below my block.

I feel nostalgic everytime I went back to an old HDB estate with corridors where you can played soccer with friends once upon a time.

I will miss the wet markets as it is our moment of mother and son bonding whenever I went along to help her carry her marketing.

We may save the wet markets today, but it will not be there forever.

If you really want to preserve it, use it.

2 comments:

  1. Endorse yr observations heartily. However, u shld improve yr grammar, LOL! Spend more time on tt than yr tatoos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I normally just type whatever that comes first into my mind and simply click publish.. I'll keep that in mind though lucy! :P

    ReplyDelete