Sunday, October 11, 2009

Its Offical!

Its been decided finally, the tattooedbanker is no longer going to be a banker anymore. I had it with the banks. I will be joining a financial institute where I will be offering my personal advice for a fee. To put it simply to the layman, insurance agent lah.

People around me are calling me crazy. Why give up a job in a big bank that pays you a fixed 3-4k regardless of whether you hit your target, with medical benefits, annual leave entitlement etc? For a job that potentially pays you nothing?! All valid reasons, but for me, I also see it as a job that potentially pays me the sky, and a chance for me to do everything that I want.

Lets face it. Back at the bank, I was basically working minimally 70hrs a week. In a month, 70 * 4 = 280hrs, getting $4000 = $14/hr.
That's not exactly a whole lot. I get the amount of money I get because I work really hard for it. I'm not the type of person that works standard office hours producing a fixed amount of production per hour. I want more. With 70hrs of work per week in a insurance firm, assuming I can produce just half of my production in the bank, I will be getting more than twice the returns. The only case I don't get income is if I don't bother to work, which in all honestly, is not likely going to happen. (exception being my annual reservist)

In terms of recognition and appreciation, I find it more rewarding as well. Back in the bank, although I was the top producer for the last couple of years, never did I once get any recognition or thanks from the top management, whom ironically, took home even bigger paychecks and bonus because of people like me, who helped them achieve their targets and market shares. To the bank, its because of THEIR great management that people like us are able to do our job well. For us, its a given, that's our job. No recognition, no appreciation.

I understand and is ready for the prejudice a insurance agent will face. Story of my life so far anyway :)

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment