Thursday, October 1, 2009

Survey shows civil servants happier compared to those working in private sector

My first reaction seeing this article is "DUH!"

I mean, wouldn't you be, if you are doing basically nothing daily, non-accountable to anyone, cast-iron recession proof income without a need to provide any service at all. I know I would.

I have a friend in the civil service, working as a buyer in a major govt board. I was curious. I thought buyers normally exists only in retails chains etc so I probed more. Basically, his guy is to buy and distributes stationary to the department. With all due respect, I don't think that a graduate is needed to buy and distribute stationary with a salary of > $3000/mth. Of course, I kept quiet out of respect for my friend, but he was openly proud of landing this particular job, boasting about doing nothing most of the time, with his most troubling problem, in his own words, being "thinking of what to do while waiting to knock off". So basically you see him on facebook all the time. I wouldn't really mind a job like that, and wouldn't I be happier?


    
Survey shows civil servants happier compared to those working in private sector
Posted: 01 October 2009 1659 hrs

    
SINGAPORE : Employees working for the government are happier than those in the private sector. This is according to an online survey conducted by JobsCentral, one of Singapore's largest job portals.

Civil servants scored 58.5 on the JobsCentral Work Happiness Indicator, higher than the average score of 55.9 for employees in the private sector.

A score of 50 indicates that an employee feels neutral about his work happiness, and a full score of 100 will mean that he is very happy.

Chief Executive Officer of JobsCentral, Lim Der Shing, said the result was not surprising.

He said the civil service in Singapore is well-run and has rather progressive human resource policies in place.

Employees in education/training have emerge as the happiest followed by those in public relations and consulting.

As for industry, employees in the arts, entertainment and recreation industry are the happiest. - CNA/ms

 
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment