Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Starhub and EPL

I'm sure by now everyone knows that Starhub has lost out to Singtel in the EPL bidding war.

As a Starhub subscriber myself, I am seriously disappointed with the result. Granted, the price had been gng up over the years but being the crazy fan that I am, I've been giving in year after year just so that I can have my weekly fix of games. Moving forward, even though I willing to pay, I still have to go through the inconvience of getting mio tv, adding another set top box, another remote set to my already overflowing tv console that currently already hosts the Starhub set-top box, DVD player, wii, PS2, and hifi set. Sigh...

Lucky for me, my Starhub subscription will be expiring at the end of the season, before mio tv takes over, so I'm free to switch without any penalties. Sorry for those that just signed up though. In any case, to me, Starhub had been squeezing the sports fans for long enough IMO.  Jeannie Ong, StarHub's head of corporate communications, conceded that the company's top line will be affected by the loss of the English soccer rights in mid-2010. But she said the number of customers who use the company's pay TV services for the soccer content alone is a "very small number." Lets see how small this "very small number" really is. Most of the people I know simply get the sports channel for soccer only. For myself, I'm simply forced to take a basic package that I don't even know what channels there are since I do not watch them at all, before I'm able to take the sports channel, and I can't even choose just the football channel, but have to take a host of other programs that I don't watch as well, such as tennis and golf. Hopefully, Singtel doesn't need to do the same thing. I'm optimistic sometimes :P

I wonder if there's live streaming available online for matches, or worse case scenerio, any way to download a delayed telecast, instead of being held hostage by two warring telcos.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment