Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Respect

Really salute Mr Low Thia Khiang for his decision to move out of his comfort zone in Hougang and contest a GRC in Aljunied. Put me in the same position and I may not have the guts and resolve to do what he did. He could pretty much stay put and keep on doing the same job which he had been doing very well, and drawing a high 'allowance' at the same time. He could treat it as his own little retirement village, a little bit like a small village chief in the old days, where he will live a comfortable life, and commands respect from the people in Hougang.

I used to live in Hougang a long long time again. Long before I knew anything about politics. To me, Hougang was never any different from the nearby AMK (which I moved to next), nice housing, amenities, places of worship etc. Only real 'difference' or question to me at that time was why there are no MRT there. I did not feel that it had been in anyway 'shortchanged' or disadvantaged. There is no reason for me to feel that way.

Only much later in life, just like in the matrix movie, after taking the red pill, did I realise how many things work in our uniquely Singapore context. Learnt new terms, such as 'pork barrel politics', 'gerrymandering', 'character assassination' and 'fear-mongering'.

I often see Mr Low when I visit Hougang. I even see him around my estate once or twice over the last couple of years even though he isn't contesting here. Rumor has it that he attends every single funeral wake or wedding banquets held in Hougang. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but if true, speaks volume for his character. To voters living in PAP wards, I pose this question, "when was the last time you ever saw your MP if they didn't need something (ie your votes) from you?" For me, its easier to strike 4d than to meet my MP.

By choosing this route, he is basically forcing voters that are still sitting on the fence to make a decision. To break status quo. To bring WP and opposition in Singapore to the next level. I sincerely hope he succeed. Its not going to be easy, especially against George Yeo who seemed to be genuinely well-liked by many and to give credit where its due, had been doing a pretty decent job as a foreign minister. The other members in his team are certainly no TPLs and can be counted on to stand on their own feet, but the WP team seems intent to match them all the way by fielding an very impressive lineup as well.

For this election, I finally decided to start doing something. I've volunteered my services as a polling/counting agent with WP.

A small step forward, may it lead to a big leap next.

No comments:

Post a Comment