Saturday, April 30, 2011

My 1st rally this year

I attended my 1st rally of the year in serangoon stadium last night. It feels like a festival. WP flags, books, newsletters are being peddled around for a fee, people are sitting in and outside the stadium with the whole family, everyone seemed excited. But excited about what??

I paid $2 for a party flag, treating it as a small donation to the party's causes, and went into the stadium. Overwhelming crowd, sea of people everywhere. From the entrance, I couldn't see where the stage is, let alone identify who is speaking and on what issues. Finally managed to squeeze my way in eventually to have a better listen. In all honestly, the whole experience was a bit underwhelming, I had looked forwarded to and expected a better speech with more substance especially from CSM, but what disappointed me more was actually the crowd.

As impressive as the large numbers in the crowd may seem, a majority of them didn't seemed to be there to listen to the candidates speaking, to learn about what the party is doing or trying to do for them. I saw many simply having a picnic in the middle of the field, taking pictures, busy tweeting/facebooking then really listening to what is being said. To many, it's simply nothing more than a novelty, a form of 'entertainment'. Is it a new fad, especially for the younger crowd, to be seen as anti-establishment, a rebel? To be seen at an opposition rally? To take photos and 'check-in' on facebook just because its cool to be seen there?

Personally, that is not my ward. But I was there because I wanted to see how WP had evolved. The party is contesting in my ward, albeit with a different team. Not the 'A-team', but I wanted to get more of a feel on the party, and how they would make things better for us. I remember visiting quite alot of election rallies the last time round and the crowd was visibly different. There is a sense that people were taking things more seriously. This time round, people seemed to be taking it as entertainment, and the speakers seemed to be playing to the crowd as well, making generalistic popular statements that evoke emotions but doesn't really say too much.

I had hoped this election will be different.

I had hoped that it will be a next step towards a better future for us.

But I am not feeling so optimistic.

Lets pray it doesn't end 87 - 0

1 comment:

  1. like ur blog and thoughts. and just a minor here :) banker with tattoos, thats a new concept though, i likes :D gd luck on the family! :D



    -duanmenghao@live.com

    ReplyDelete